Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Huckleberry Apple Tart














Last night I had the last of our tree's apples that I needed to use, and still a few huckleberries in the freezer from Thanksgiving. I decided to make a tart.
The crust I made with white spelt flour- and coconut oil and ghee. I added a few tablespoons of sugar to the crust as well as a 1/2 tsp or so of salt. I think the sugar in the crust made it extra crispy, which was nice.
The coconut flavor wasn't too overpowering and blended nicely with the apples. Sorry I don't have a more precise recipe- but tarts are so simple!

I just blended a cup or so of flour with the sugar and salt and then blended the coconut oil and ghee in in with my finger tips- just enough so it is well integrated- maybe 1/2 a cup of oil total. Then I sprinkled some cold water on- just maybe a tablespoon. It held loosely together in a ball- but not tight enough to roll out, so I just put it in a tart pan and patted it down. The less water you use the better the crust!

Then I just mixed the apples, and huckleberries and a few tablespoons of sugar as well and spread the mixture over the crust. I baked it at between 350 and 400 for about a half hour.

It was delicious- my roommate Annie called it a "tart orgasm" which doesn't sound the best, but I was flattered none the less...